Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU

I will take care of you. Who doesn't long to hear someone express those words? Mommies and Daddies say them to their children. Husbands and wives to each other. Sometimes grown children say them to their aging parents. Everyone needs someone to care for them at times. If not physically, or financially, then emotionally. How lonely it would be to have no one to care for you.

So, if you're living on your own, no spouse, no close family, where do you find that care? Who will be there when you have a need? Who do you turn to without feeling as though you are intruding or burdening someone?

About 2 years ago I made the decision that I would live for Christ. Not just believing in Him as my Savior, I had done that years earlier, but actually living my life for Him. I was still recovering from a painful brake-up, short on friends and lacking in happiness. I had nowhere to turn but to my Lord. And when I did, He welcomed me with open arms.

Since that time, I am overwhelmed with how the Lord has cared for me. He has introduced me to a group of Christian friends who pray with me and for me. He provided a way for me to own a home. When I needed a new refrigerator, a free one was offered along with a matching stove! He even gives me the occasional free lunch through coupons or co-workers offering to treat. Some people would look at these things as just coincidence or luck. Not me. I know these things are from my God. I know because He told me he would take care of me.

A while ago I started communicating with someone through a dating website. Our emails and phone conversations went well and so we decided to meet. Being a typical woman, I began to over think every detail. What would I wear, say, do? What would he say? Would we be compatible in person? What if I spill something on the new shirt I bought? My mind raced with every possible detail and scenario. During the half hour drive to meet my date, I prayed fervently for God's guidance and peace.

I met the gentleman for dinner. Things were going well, as far as I could tell. But my mind was still racing with questions. Is he the ONE? Do we want the same things? Would he be a good husband, father, provider? God silenced these thoughts with one simple phrase. In the middle of eating my mashed potatoes, I heard His words in my mind, strong and clear, "I WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU." Wow! God was reminding me not to look for care and support from someone else. He will be the one to take care of me, thank you very much. The God of the universe will give me what I need when I need it.

I finished my dinner and told the nice gentleman that I'd be willing to talk with him more. It turned out he wasn't as interested as I was (story of my life). But that was okay. What God had told me was so much more important! I treasured these words and pondered them in my heart.

God knew that I needed a little reminder of His faithfulness. Now when I receive a free lunch or the unexpected blessing, I know I'm not just lucky. I know that my Lord is taking care of me. Providing for me. Loving me. And He will do it for all eternity.

He will do so for you as well. He told you He would. Not so sure? Just look at Psalm 23 (NLT):
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

If you turn to God as your shepherd, He will care for you. His goodness and unfailing love will pursue you all the days of your life. Forever.

1 comment:

  1. Right on Katie Girl! Thanks for sharing these thoughts. I get so caught up in things some days that I lose sight of God's provision. It's easy to believe He'll care for us when times are good and there's nothing to worry about. It's a lot harder to trust in His care when things aren't so great and life is scary. It makes me want to grab the reins and take control! But, like in your last post...we need to WAIT on the Lord. Whether it's active waiting or not, we must commit to trust in Him even when it's scary. He desires to give us good things...the best of everything we need, if only we'd get out of His way! :)

    ReplyDelete